When I was a kid going through what I perceived as a ‘rough time’ in my life, I used to write a daily list. The requirements? The list had to be 10 items long and always positive. Usually the list was about 10 positive things that happened that day, or 10 positive things I saw, or 10 wonderful smiles and gestures from friends. It didn’t matter, as long as it was focused on that day. The wonderful thing about this habit, which I maintained daily for about 3-4 years, is it taught me to consistently think in a certain, positive manner, even when life seemed negative. Eventually, I didn't need to write these lists to think positively about my life. And this mindset has carried with me and flourished in a way that no psychiatrist could mimic in treatments.
I love everything about life, even the things that depress me, because in some way they make me a better person. They push me to a new goal, throw me in uncomfortable situations, teach me about people and cultures, and make great stories. That’s why I see every ‘misadventure’ as an adventure. You never know where life will take you. Some things are easier to see in a positive way than others, but that's what keeps it challenging and rewarding.
In honour of this habit I had as a kid, I decided to write a list of 10 things I’m thankful for this birthday. Funny how birthdays always make you look back, even when life hasn’t been lived yet.
So here goes!
10 Things I`m Thankful for on my 24th Birthday
1.A family that loves and supports me and is functional in its dysfunctional way
2.A relationship that will last a lifetime with the man I love, who would throw himself into a puddle if only to prevent me from getting wet. And who, only yesterday, put a tiny plastic sword that skewered a cherry in a drink inside my boot so I would have a `boot knife` to protect me. So silly.
3.Friends that I can rely on and love dearly. Especially those that make me feel better about myself after each hangout
4.An education of my own choosing and that I loved
5.An outlook on life that is positive
6.The means and ability to continuously learn
7.A positive self image
8.Good health (except the genetic disasters, of course!)
9.A safe, welcoming and friendly neighbourhood
10.To have been born in Canada without many needs
Who knows? Maybe I’ll make this a yearly birthday list :) .
I like this idea! :)
ReplyDeleteI like this idea too!
ReplyDelete