I was asked to write a short (250 words) thing about how my time at the Museum of Classical Antiquities (I spent 3 years there!) made a difference in my life. The current TA for the museum is organizing a fair to promote the Museum to schools and the University of Ottawa itself. So I thought it would be nice to also promote it here, on my blog. Here's what I wrote:
(Audrey giving a tour)The three years I spent at the Museum of Classical Antiquities at the University of Ottawa gave me unique experience in my undergraduate degree that is unparalleled in most universities. I was able to handle artefacts, give tours in both official languages to school groups, and work with professors in a one-on-one setting. This experience was noted by both my dig director in Rome (Darius Aria of the American Institute for Roman Culture, Villa Delle Vignacce excavation) and the faculty at Newcastle University where I completed my Masters in Greek and Roman Archaeology. I credit my time at the Museum for my acceptance into each program, as well as my scholarship in the United Kingdom. The Museum helped me see the past in a way that most students don’t get to experience in Canada. My understanding of ancient cultures, and social history changed while volunteering there, and the practical experience I gained was invaluable to my future education. The Museum of Classical Antiquities provides unique opportunities for all students, whether looking for practice in communications and management, or the chance to handle an object made during the time of great empires. I loved my time at the Museum of Classical Antiquities, and I hope that many more students will become involved to bring their passion for the past to the future.
I just found out that one of the reasons they are throwing this symposium is because the Dean of Arts wants to move Classics and the Museum out of the Arts building to "save money"...
ReplyDeleteLame...You know, I have yet to visit this museum...
ReplyDelete