Wednesday, 28 July 2010

An Adventure to bring Adventures

So today is my last day with internet. *horrified gasps through the crowd*. I know - what can anyone do without the internet? To be honest, I prefer to be unreachable. I like the idea of being able to disappear. To enjoy the moment for what it is, without my cell phone going off, or someone's twitter tweeting. Sometimes it's better to disconnect.

I was wondering today what life was like without the internet. I lived through it, but somehow I can't seem to remember it. What did people do? How did they reach each other easily? I mean, who picks up a phone nowadays anyway? I'll just Facebook stalk them. No human contact needed.

And in some ways its a better world - so much information being passed around from person to person, country to country, and organization to the masses. Don't get me wrong - I like the world with the internet and all the abilities and resources it gives me. Hell, I'm writing this blog aren't I? But at the same time, I'm looking forward to my backpacking trip. I'm looking forward to forgetting this massive brain that continues to grow synapses day after day. Frankly, my own brain needs a rest from the expansion.

My significant other arrives on Saturday morning, and after a couple of days of saying goodbye to wonderful friends in Newcastle, we are off on the adventure of our lives. He likes to say its the beginning of many adventures to come - I like to agree. And me agreeing is a terribly rare moment for Yan.

Life is full of adventures, you just have to be willing to embrace them. I have always chased my dreams - my Mother knew it when I was younger, and the world is finding it out now. I am fiercely independent in many ways, and dreaming is the one thing no one else may own. I chase my dreams. I am determined to live them. Does this make me naive? Passionate, maybe, but naive, certainly not. I believe that those who would call my life goals naive are the ones who have difficulties dreaming. Ones who are afraid to think back on childhood reveries. Its sad that the spark seems to die in so many. I've been close to losing it too. But I refuse to let it die. I will dream, and I will experience, and the spark will evolve with me. I will see the world, and I will try as many things as possible. Life is about opportunity. No. Life is about making your own opportunity.

So here we come world! One month of internet free disconnection, and I'm ready to embrace it! I'm ready to set my inner child free. I'm ready to live my dream and experience my adventure...

In short: bring it on.

1 comment: